Hi!

Hi, and welcome to my blog-turned-place where I post my writing. This is my outlet to put them up, which was radically different from the blog that this started out as. I hope you'll have a good time reading my blog/place where I post some poetry and some short stories. I try to cover a variety of topics in these works of mine, so I hope any readers will enjoy it. I'm not an English major by any stretch, but I enjoy writing. Critique would be nice for my writing, cause lord knows I could work on it. Enjoy!

Sunday, June 3, 2012

A far-flung Island

A young child will look at a map and ask,
                “Daddy, where is this place?”
                and will point to the location
                and get a response; “why, that’s the United Kingdom”
But he doesn’t look at the other places, the dots,
                the dots and the mere specks that nobody cares about.

The dots that represent those small islands
with their small populations, claimed by the giants.
Their beautiful waters. Their rugged landscapes.
                That nobody knows or cares about, outside of these islands.

They may be in the Atlantic. In the Indian Ocean. The South Pacific.
Isolated, and alone. A dot. A speck. A tiny dot.
Represented, without a good representation; they would revolt
                                if anyone outside knew who they were. Before laughing it off.
Did anyone ask how they felt about their places on the map(s), the world?
                                                No. Too much effort for little specks in the grand scheme of things.
               
So for now, these lonely islands will keep to themselves.
                            On the vast ocean.
                                                Alone. Adrift.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Interesting way to put it! Islands are obviously the original hipsters...