Hi!

Hi, and welcome to my blog-turned-place where I post my writing. This is my outlet to put them up, which was radically different from the blog that this started out as. I hope you'll have a good time reading my blog/place where I post some poetry and some short stories. I try to cover a variety of topics in these works of mine, so I hope any readers will enjoy it. I'm not an English major by any stretch, but I enjoy writing. Critique would be nice for my writing, cause lord knows I could work on it. Enjoy!

Monday, November 15, 2010

The Roomie Who Lives With Computers/"My Pent up Rage" Rant

This is a protest post (nice alliteration there come to think of it) slash rant post that I've been meaning to address lately. I may come off as obnoxious and overly mean, but I'm not too happy about it. What I'm getting pissed off about is how my second roommate, Chris, is a lazy S.O.B. and is on his computer all goddamn day. Like, he goes to bed, laptop in hand. He falls asleep in the wee hours of the morning, laptop in hand, and then complains about being tired...and then sleeps in and misses his classes. He shirks his work and then starts to start/work on/finish said work pretty late at night, when I'm trying to sleep; this just straight up pisses me off, because, given the unhealthy amount of time he spends on his laptop and his desktop computer (why somebody needs this IN addition to a laptop is beyond me), you'd figure that he'd manage to get something, anything done. Nope. He slacks off, cause he spends his life on Facebook, YouTube, and his flight simulator. Come on Chris, you can't live your life on a computer-people DO exist in the real world, you do know, right?

Now, I'm super bummed, and I know that a few others share this same gripe too, is that you never fucking clean your part of the room up. We're all clean and pristine, but apparently your computers take precedent over basic sanitation. Which, now that I dwell on it, is probably why we have to Febreeze your stuff every now and then. And trust us, it ain't fun to have to do that. So please Chris, please, pretty please, clean your part up. I'll clean your stuff up WHEN it gets significantly unbearable, but I swear, I should not have to do something that a good, even decent, roommate should do. I didn't sign up to essentially be your second mom, and both Eric and I should not have to do that. And now that we get to the bit about sanitation, please, please, PLEASE shower every now and then. I don't want to sound more like an asshole, but both of your fellow roommates can smell something; in fact, at least one or two other people can smell your stench. You brought shower stuff for a reason-PLEASE use it.

Look man, I know that I've said this quite a few times before, but geez, please do not complain when you are "tired". I know you're in the habit of staying up late and getting up late from high school, but you're living with two other people now. It's fine that you want to sleep, yes, but when you're tired BECAUSE you stay up into the wee hours of the morning doing god knows what on your laptop, I find it pretty hard to sympathize. Even more so, when you have papers due the next day, don't stay up late chilling and then find the sudden urge to do work. You've had all day to do work, and you're also on your computer(s). Wazzup with that?

And finally, you'd like college, and probably your grades, too, if you just put down the computers and went outside our room, and socialized. Trust me, it's fun. You'll actually get to know the people that we all hang out with, instead of the couple of hours they're inebriated. That's all that I, and others, are asking for. Computers are not a substitute for people to talk with. We'd like to talk to you, but obviously we can't when you're always on your blasted computers. Take the time to talk with us, please?

I mean, it may not sound like it, but you're a good guy. Yeah, you may have some flaws, but you're still a good guy to talk to. You're one of the few guys, if at all, that I can talk college football, music, movies, and tv shows with. It's just a shame that you can't talk to more people about that; I'm sure they'd love to talk to you if you just got a chance to. Yes, I know I know, you're "sick" or you're "not sociable", but you never know until you try. And I think that's what's the most frustrating thing about you-you're content to say "I don't like doing this" or "I'm not in the mood for this" or "It's not my thing" or "Eh, I'm not good at this/that". Well you know what? Fuck that, if you don't try, there is no fail. That's why we all have fun on our floor, because we try things and more often than not, the feeble attempts often result in greater, more fun things. Shame you've gotta miss out just because you're "not up to it" and then miss out on a great time/night/few hours/etc. 

1 comment:

Molly said...

conan I think you need to let this go and let him suffer for his own actions. like you said, you can't be his mom (or dad). I know I've gotten angry before about his habit of skipping class, but we all need to stop bringing it up. maybe he's just acting out to get attention... who knows! we all needa stop stressing about this and continue to enjoy our time in college :)