Hi!

Hi, and welcome to my blog-turned-place where I post my writing. This is my outlet to put them up, which was radically different from the blog that this started out as. I hope you'll have a good time reading my blog/place where I post some poetry and some short stories. I try to cover a variety of topics in these works of mine, so I hope any readers will enjoy it. I'm not an English major by any stretch, but I enjoy writing. Critique would be nice for my writing, cause lord knows I could work on it. Enjoy!

Saturday, April 24, 2010

To go to Prom, or not to go to Prom, that is the question

Decision time is fairly approaching (cause I'd have to potentially make arrangements), and by that I mean it's whether or not to go to prom. Note that if this was anybody else, it'd be a definite "hell yes". However, the only person I ever even considered asking said no, but to be fair, I'm not sure that she was in the best frame of mind at the time. Should I ask her again, or should I just not go? Yeah, it's a senior memory, and she argued that I should experience it (but I want to share it with her as well, as she is only a sophomore). And yes, the girl in question is the most recent former girlfriend who is quite over me, and has long since been. But getting back on track, I seriously feel that prom is overrated; it's just music and dancing, and I know from what I've heard from the last few homecomings was that "dancing" meant "let's grind on each other and violate everybody else's personal bubble". I don't buy the "it's a special moment in each senior's high school experience". Heck, that's what they say about homecoming but I honestly haven't cared enough to go to a homecoming dance all four years of high school. I played pickup hockey this year, and I'm planning to do that this year on prom night. Will I regret seeing all the pictures of people dressed up and looking stunning? Yeah, I probably will. Will I miss the experience of prom? Yeah, maybe. Now, the deciding factor is, will I miss being able to play pickup hockey more than missing out on prom? HELL YES I WILL. Hockey means more to me than one night of an overrated dance that is blown way out of proportion; I don't even know how much I will be able to play hockey in college, and for me, I'm sure as heck planning on playing as much as I can and savoring the experiences.

I know I sound like some moron who hates prom, but I'm not. I just don't have anybody whom I plan on sharing/asking to go with me. I know, I know, there are a ton of people out there to ask, but I just have my own special standards in which I want to ask somebody. Now, I'll go if there is one person whom I know I want to go with, but honestly, I'm Conan Smeeth, it doesn't happen to me. I'd be touched if somebody actually said they would go with me, and I sincerely appreciate that gesture, if it happened, but I don't want to force anybody to go with me just out of pity; you don't deserve to go if we both aren't consensually enjoying it.

That's all folks. I hope somebody can read this and (try) to slap some sense into me. Good luck with that, though.

No comments: